Monday, August 27, 2007

Edgar and Ellen – Rare Beasts (4/5 stars) by Charles Ogden and Rick Carton

I picked this book up because I liked the cover and the premise. Two twins living in a creepy house while their parents are on a supposedly permanent holiday; the twins’ goal is to wreck havoc in the small town they live in.

This book is cute and clever. I think kids would really get a kick out of it. It’s a quick read for an adult. It doesn’t really go out of the way to teach any moral; it’s just about mischief and mayhem. In fact I believe the moral of the story was “To never use water based paint and glue.”

It’s written in a cute gothic style that reminds me of a Billy and Mandy cartoon or maybe the Adams Family. It introduced some vocabulary that would probably be new to kids of the age-frame this book is aimed and that is no bad thing. People who were fans of the Spiderwick Chronicles or An Unfortunate Series of Events would probably dig this book. This book is not as much fantasy or as serious as the Spiderwick Chronicles. I can’t compare it directly to An Unfortunate Series of Events because I personally never got into that series.

Definitely a quick fun read; I look forward to reading more of this series.

Here is a link to this book on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment