Friday, March 11, 2011

Graphic Novel Review - The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean (4/5 stars)

The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. PunchReading level: Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel
Size:  96 pages
Publisher: Vertigo / DC Comics
Release Date: September 1, 1995
ISBN-13:  978-1563892462
Stand Alone or Series: Stand Alone
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5 stars


 

This is another one of the older Neil Gaiman graphic novels I haven't ever read so I was eager to read it.  It was an interesting story; McKean's artwork is dark and provoking.

This novel basically tells about a boy growing up.  The Punch and Judy show plays a significant part in parts of his life, and at times his life seems to imitate the play.

This is a typical Neil Gaiman story; it is well told, a little eerie, and a bit creepy.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is more the story of a boy growing up than anything else.  The Punch and Judy play has influence throughout the boy's life.  Dave McKean's artwork is fantastic like usual and serves to enforce the eerie creepiness that surrounds this story.

It is a very dark book with some occasionally dark implications, best for young adult or older.  I found it to be an interesting read and I enjoyed it, but it isn't something that I would sit down and read again.  I did like the way the Punch and Judy play was woven through out the boy's life and echoed in events that surrounded him.

Overall I am glad I picked this up and read it.  It was an interesting, if somewhat disturbing read, there were parts I really liked and I enjoyed the artwork throughout.  If you are a Gaiman fan and like dark, somewhat disturbing images that are a bit fanciful you may like this.  It is kind of a coming of age story with Punch and Judy influences.   Not Gaiman's strongest work, but interesting all the same.

This book goes towards the following reading challenges:
- Graphic Novels Challenge List
- 100+ Reading Challenge


The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch 

No comments:

Post a Comment