Sunday, November 7, 2010

In My Mailbox and Mailbox Monday - 11/8

IMM is a meme started at The Story Siren with some inspiration from Alea of Pop Culture Junkie.

Anyone can participate in IMM and you are not limited to only sharing books that arrive via your mailbox. You can also share books that you've bought or books that you've gotten at the library.

Mailbox Monday can be found at: The Printed Page

Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week (checked out library books don’t count, eBooks & audio books do). Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. 
 


My commitment to getting less books so I can catch up on all of the ones I have to read was not...ummm...adhered to this month.  It was kind of one of those book crazy weeks.  I ended up with fourteen new books (because thirteen would have been bad luck!).

The first two books I got through the Amazon Vine program and those were: The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson and The Invisible Order (Rise of the Darklings, Book 1) by Paul Crilley.

The next six books I got through paperbackswap.com.  I can explain this really I can.  First of all I was going through the list of "100 books to read before you die" and decided to get a few more books from that list.  That is why I got  Ice Station by Matt Reilly, Wild Swans by Jung Chang, and Atonement: A Novel by Ian McEwan.  Then I realized that I am way behind on the Forgotten Realms Drizzt related books so I picked up the following (I know they are about Drizzt's enemy but still I need to keep up on this) The Sellsword Series by R.A. Salvatore which includes Servant of the Shard, Promise of the Witch King, and Road of the Patriarch.

Then I got two books through netgalley.com for review and these were:  The Year Money Grew on Trees by Aaron Hawkins and Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren, Book 2) by Tracey O'hara.

I didn't realize Death's Sweet Embrace was the second book in the series so I stopped by Half Price Books to see if they had the first book in the series and they did.  They also had the next two books in the Allie Beckstrom series so I just couldn't resist.  So from half price books I ended up with:  Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, Book 3) by Devon Monk, Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, Book 4) by Devon Monk, and Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethern, Book 1) by Tracey O'Hara.

Lastly I bought Shotgun Sorceress (Spellbent, Book 2) by Lucy A. Snyder for my Kindle, because well Spellbent was an absolutely kick-ass book and I am excited to read Shotgun Soceress and thought given the quality of Spellbent it was worth buying.

You can see more about all of these books below.  I hope you all have a great week of reading ahead of you!


The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
The Healer's Apprentice
First Sentence: "The townpeople of Hagenheim craned their necks as they peered down the cobblestone street, hoping to catch a glimpse of the Duke of Hagenheim's two handsome sons.

The Invisible Order (Rise of the Darklings, Book 1) by Paul Crilley
The Invisible Order, Book One: Rise of the Darklings
First Sentence: "On the day she found out about the hidden war being fought in the dreary streets of London, Emily woke up praying for snow."

Ice Station by Matt Reilly
Ice Station
First Sentence: "It had been three hours now since they'd lost radio contact with the two divers."

Wild Swans by Jung Chang
Wild Swans : Three Daughters of China
First Sentence: "At the age of fifteen my grandmother became the concubine of a warlord general, the police chief of a tenuous national government of China."

Atonement: A Novel by Ian McEwan
Atonement: A Novel
First Sentence: "The play - for which Briony had designed the posters, programs, and tickets, constructed the sales booth out of a folding screen tipped on its side, and lined the collection box in red crepe paper - was written by her in a two-day tempest of composition, causing her to miss a breakfast and a lunch."

The Sellsword Series by R.A. Salvatore
Servant of the Shard
Servant of the Shard (Forgotten Realms: The Sellswords, Book 1)
Promise of the Witch King
 Promise of the Witch-King (Forgotten Realms: The Sellswords, Book 2) (Bk. 2)
 Road of the Patriarch
Road of the Patriarch (Forgotten Realms: The Sellswords, Book 3)

Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, Book 3) by Devon Monk
Magic in the Shadows: An Allie Beckstrom Novel
First Sentence: "Rush hour traffic below my apartment window breathed a deep note behind the rise and fall of the winter wind."

Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, Book 4) by Devon Monk
Magic on the Storm: An Allie Beckstrom Novel
First Sentence: "Two months of self-defense classes, mixed martial arts, and weapons training did not make it hurt any less when I was thrown over my opponent's shoulder and slammed into the ground."

Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethern, Book 1) by Tracey O'Hara
Night's Cold Kiss: A Dark Brethren Novel
First Sentence: "Antoinette crept along the alley, unknown shadows pressing in on her from the darkness."

eBooks:

The Year Money Grew on Trees by Aaron Hawkins
The Year Money Grew on Trees
First Sentence: "My dad always dais that his feet were the only stupid parts of his body."

Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren, Book 2) by Tracey O'hara
First Sentence: "The excited babble of female voices floated down the hall toward Gideon."

Shotgun Sorceress (Spellbent, Book 2) by Lucy A. Snyder
Shotgun Sorceress
First Sentence: "The festering mob of meat puppets in their tattered Sunday best shambled aside as I rode Pal down Main Street toward the stark white columns and broad marble steps of the Saguaro Hotel."

4 comments:

  1. Happy reading and have a great rest of the weekend!
    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy all the books! I read Atonement a couple of years ago and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a good week! The two from the Vine program sound really fun. Hope you like them. My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great mix of books! I have Atonement in my TBR pile (one of MY I-must-read-before-I-die books). Out of them all, The Healer's Apprentice is most calling to me! Enjoy them all!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete