Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Giraffe, The Pelly, and Me by Roald Dahl (4/5 stars)

I have read many of Roald Dahl's books and enjoyed them all. I picked up a clearance bundle of Dahl's books so I could read them to my son and this book was in there. I have never even heard of this book. It is just a slip of a novel; around 70 pags or so. It was a cute little read and enjoyable. Nothing outstanding, but a fun read all the same and short enough to keep the attention of a younger child than most of his stories are aimed at.

A little boy lives next to an old shut-down building that used to be a candy shop. Then one day he sees that the building has been cleaned up and now has a sign on it "Ladderless Window Cleaning Company". The cleaning company consists of a pelican, a monkey, and a giraffe. And the little boy is whisked away on a window cleaning adventure that in the end makes all his dreams come true.

This was a cute, short novel. Appropriate for very young children; I think even a 3 or 4 year old would be able to follow it and enjoy it. The pictures are black and white sketches and enduring in their own way. It makes a nice addition to my collection of Dahl books.

No comments:

Post a Comment