Friday, March 8, 2013

Graphic Novel Review - Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan (5/5 stars)

Reading Level: Young Adult
Genre: Graphic Novel/Short Stories
Size: 96 pages
Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Release Date: February 1, 2009
ISBN: 978-0545055871
Stand Alone or Series: Stand Alone
Source: Swapped
Rating: 5/5 stars


This was a wonderful collection of short stories told in both written and graphic novel format that is 100% Tan in style and tone.

The stories are quirky and funny, sometimes darkly so. Covering topics all the way from abandoned missiles decorating people’s yard, to a daring nighttime turtle rescue, to a paper map that really does show the end of a city. The story all have a couple things in common; they talk about extraordinary things in a suburban world and they are full of irony.

I enjoyed all the short stories and the irony throughout. Tan does an excellent job of making these stories accessible on a number of different levels. They will mean different things to kids and adults, but both age groups will enjoy them thoroughly.

There is a lot of creativity in these stories and the drawings are fabulous. The drawings range from whimsical to eerie and everything in between...but they are always interesting to look at, quirky, and beautiful.

I love that I just never know what I am going to get from one story to the next. Every new story is an unexpected surprise. I also love that I can read most of these with my 6 year old son and he enjoys them just as much as I do.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of quirky stories and drawings. If you are Shaun Tan fan this is a must have. If you love graphic novels you have to check this out. Seriously this is a wonderfully creative and quirky read that will appeal to all ages. It’s something I absolutely loved and I can’t wait to check out more by Tan.

This book goes towards the following reading challenges:
- Graphic Novel Reading Challenge
- 150+ Reading Challenge
- TBR Pile Reading Challenge
- Young Adult Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this review, it was very helpful. It's always nice to know there are some good graphic novels still out there, and aimed for young adults. I'll definitely be back for more reviews, thank you!

    ReplyDelete