Monday, August 27, 2007

Finder by Emma Bull - 3/5 stars

This book is about a character named Orient who has a special power that enables him to "find' things. It is set in the Borderlands; which I didn't realize until after reading the book is the setting for a whole series of books. I may have missed some of the things in this book because of my unfamiliarity with the Borderlands. Basically there is a new drug on the street the promises to change normal humans into elves; the drug is killing lots of people and Orient gets drafted by the police to help "find" the drug.

This was an okay book. It's written in a very fast-paced, non-descriptive, no-nonsense style that is often found in science fiction. I don't read a ton of science fiction because I am not a huge fan of this writing style. I think the action sequences could have been written with more description to help the reader picture what was going on.

Orient was an interesting character, yet for some reason I did not find him especially engaging. The Ticker was a great character and I feel like we didn't get to spend enough time with her. Maybe the Ticker's story is dealt with in a different Borderland novel. I guess my biggest problem with this novel was there were a lot of characters in there that were way more interesting than Orient and they didn't get much page space.

I am a huge Emma Bull fan; I loved her book War for the Oaks. Of course I am from Minnesota so I loved having all of that adventure take place in Minneapolis. Finder was a huge deparature from the type of subject and writing style that she had in War for the Oaks. It is nice to see that she can write in different genres. I am looking forward to her soon to be released book Territory. Hopefully this one will be more in line with what she delivered in War for the Oaks.

Here is a link for Finder on Amazon:


Here is a link for War for the Oaks on Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment