Monday, January 7, 2008

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz (3/5 stars)

I picked up this book in the used book section of my local bookstore because it looked interesting.

The book follows a group of well-off high school students who find out that their ancestors aren't quite what they thought they were and that they themselves are transforming into something different than human.

This book was okay. I'll list the positives and negatives to it below.

Positives:
- Well-written
- Quick, light read
- Interesting take on vampire origin and society

Negatives:
- Takes a long time to set up the story; the book doesn't really get that interesting until the last forth of it.
- Switches to view points between different characters each chapter. This would be okay if the book wasn't so short and you actually got to hear each of the characters' viewpoints long enough for it to make a cohesive story.
- I personally didn't like any of the characters very much.

I am not sure if I will read the next book in the series or not. I wasn't really jumping to find out what happens to any of the characters. The book dragged on for a long time before actually getting to the main plot; it got a lot more interesting as they were trying to track down the mysterious blue blood killer. There wasn't much page space given to this though; this seemed to more be a book that set you up for more books about the main character. If I find the next book in the series used, and I am bored, I might read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment