Friday, September 19, 2008

Blood Drive by Jeanne C. Stein (4/5 stars)

This is the second book in the Anna Strong Chronicles. I actually enjoyed this book quite a bit more than the first.

This book is very much in the same style as the first. No nonsense writing style, fast paced, and a fun-easy read.

In this book Anna has accepted her need for blood but is still struggling to retain her bonds with humanity. When her brother's ex-girlfriend shows up claiming that Anna's niece is possibly involved in a murder; Anna is determined to find the young girl and find out the truth.

The best part of this book was the introduction of Daniel Frey; you also learn more about Calebra (I think that's how you spell it). I was a little disappointed in what Calebra was; I thought he would be something more interesting. Daniel Frey is an interesting and strong character. The addition of the secret underground organization is also interesting.

I was disappointed in a few things. Anna doesn't seem to progress much in understanding who and what she has become; she makes many of the same mistakes she made in the first book. I was also disappointed that Max made such a brief appearance. It's like he shows up once or twice in each book so that Anna can have sex with him and then he's off again. I would like to learn more about him, since the brief glances we see of him make him seem like an interesting character. Maybe in the next book.

Overall, I like the book, it was a quick, fun read, and well-written for what it is. I will definitely read the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment