Friday, September 19, 2008

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (4/5 stars)

I read this book because it sounded funny, and it was pretty funny. Anyone who likes corny zombie movies would like this book.

Two unlikely characters serve as the heroes of this tale. Earl (as in earl of the Vampires) and Duke (as in Duke of the Werewolves) stumble across a diner with a zombie problem on a road trip they're taking. Loretta, the diner's owner, handles the zombies without batting an eye. Unfortunately soon things take a turn for the worse and even Loretta with her shot gun needs a couple of extra bodies to handle all of the trouble.

This is not a beautifully written book, but then I wasn't expecting it to be. It is full of action, gritty, and witty. It was fast-paced, kept me interested, amused me, and (despite the fact that Earl and Duke aren't the most endearing characters I've ever read about) I really became quite fond of them by the end of the book. I knew this was going to be a good book when they got attacked by zombie cows; I mean how can you beat that.

So if you're looking for a quick, fun, and darkly humorous read this is the book for you. I will definitely check out what other books this author has out.

No comments:

Post a Comment