Sunday, May 2, 2010

Classic Review - The Legend of Sleepy Hallow by Washington Irving (4/5 stars)

My first experiences with this Halloween story were on old Halloween records my parents had and of watching the old Disney video in elementary school for Halloween.  I realized though that I had never actually read the story itself.  So I downloaded the free version on my Kindle.

Everyone should know this story, or at least have heard of it.  It's about Ichabod Crane, the schoolmaster of Sleepy Hollow, and his run-in with the evil Headless Horseman.

This story is very well-written and enjoyable even after such a long time.  I was surprised to find that the Disney version was extremely accurate; so if you watch that short movie you will get a very good representation of the story.

Most of the story is spent setting things up and some of the descriptions can get a bit drawn-out and boring.  At the same time some of the descriptions are also rather amusing and humorous. 

All in all an excellent story that made for an interesting read.  Might get a bit boring at parts for kids, but I was impressed at how funny some parts of it were too.  If you get a chance to watch the Disney movie Sleepy Hollow, it is a great movie and really stays true to this story.

This free Kindle version had some slight formatting problems in a couple places, nothing too horrible but I did notice them.

The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow 

No comments:

Post a Comment