Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (3/5 stars)

This is the second book in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It was about on par with the first book. It was okay but nothing special.

In this book Mercy is contacted by Stefen who calls in a favor that Mercy owes him and asks her to accompany him on a short trip. Stefen is supposed to check in on a vampire who entered the area unannounced. Stefen is nervous about the encounter and wants Mercy to come along because her Walker abilities should make her immune to any magic effects that this vampire has. Well, the vampire is more than he initially seems to be and the remainder of the book is dedicated to hunting him down and destroying him.

The story is straight forward and is a quick, fun read. I am still having trouble really liking any of the characters. The tension in the relationship between Mercy, Samuel and Adam is getting old. The vampires seemed kind of boring and predictable. The writing is still nothing special. Mercy's walker abilities are also nothing really interesting so far. The bright spots in this book for me were Mercy's dealings with the fey and the interesting weapons they gave her. I also though that the Wizard was an interesting character and I hope we see more of him in the future.

All the above being said, I'll read the next book because I already have it. Hopefully the next book will really draw me in. If not that's it for this series and I won't read anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment