Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer (3/5 stars)

This looks to be the first in a new series by Eoin Colfer. I am not actually sure if a new series is planned but the way the book ends would lead you to believe the potential is there.

Fletcher Moon is a certified detective that is pulled into a case where he ends up being one of the main culprits. I could take more time to describe the storyline but I think it would bore you because in general I found this book to be pretty boring.

This is nothing fantastical about this book, it is a straight detective story. While Moon is occasionally clever; he more often stumbles upon things than he actually conceives them. In fact I thought Fletcher himself was one of the less interesting characters in the book. Fletcher's older sister and Red were by far more interesting than Fletcher.

The book was well-written and an easy read. I did not find the storyline especially creative or surprising; I figured out who the criminal was early on in the book and was very disappointed when I was right...I had been hoping for some fun twists.

The only other Colfer books that I have previously read are the Artemis Fowl books. The Artemis Fowl series is leagues more interesting and creative than this series. Artemis Fowl himself is a much more intriguing character; the supporting cast of that series is also much more fun.

I won't be reading any more books in this series. I am curious as to whether or not other Colfer books (outside of Artemis Fowl) are more interesting than this book. I *do* eagerly await the next Fowl book.

No comments:

Post a Comment