Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs (3/5 stars)

This is the third book in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I think this is the strongest book in the series so far; although it still didn't blow me away with its quality and creativity.

In this book Mercy is contacted by Zee to see if she can come to the fairy reservation to help sniff out a serial killer that is on the loose there. As the mystery unravels, Mercy finds that she is not only putting her own life in grave danger with her involvement in the case but also the lives of her friends.

The writing for this book follows the first two books in the series. The book is decently written, if nothing special. There were a couple typos in the book which I found distracting. I was happy that Briggs made progress in the Mercy, Adam, Samuel deal; I was worried that she was going to string that out forever. Hopefully the issue is not continually visited in future books.

I thought that this book had more action than the previous books and put the characters in more dire situations, especially Mercy. What happened to her was horrible but should serve to add some much needed depth to her character. It was again a quick read and a fun read, if not a very involved read.

Having Mercy deal with the fairy folk made the book more interesting. Although I was disappointed at the lack in creativity when dealing with the fairy-folks special powers. Mercy made some slight progress in finding out what a walker is, but not as much as I would have liked to see.

So while this book was, in my opinion, the best of the series; the series is still mediocre. It is not horrible and I get some enjoyment from the books; I still don't see anything all that special here. I am not sure if I will continue to read this series or not, we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment