Tuesday, November 4, 2008

From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris (4/5 stars)

This is the 8th book in the Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris featuring Sookie Stackhouse. This was a good book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the first time I had listened to one of these books on audio book. The audio book was very well done. The only thing about the audio book that annoyed me was that they lady who read it made Sookie have a heavy southern twang; this was realistic to Sookie's character but made me talk in a southern twang to everyone I meet after listening to it. I was finding myself working very hard not to talk in a southern belle like manner :-)

This book was great fun. Some interesting things are revealed about Sookie's family. Things heat up and are resolved on both the vampire and werewolf fronts. A lot happens and most of it is neatly wrapped up. I was a little irked that Bill Compton is trying to force his way back into the story, I've frankly has enough of him. I was also irked that there wasn't more resolution between Sookie and Eric Northman. I am not sure there's a lot more I can say without giving things away. It was a fun read, never boring. A bit of a transitional novel as everyone struggles to recover from hurricane Katrina. A lot of things were wrapped up but there was still quite a bit that was left open too. I am antsy for the next novel.

I think part of what makes these novels so good is Sookie's character. She is such a real character. She needs to go to work to make ends meet, she is a sweet woman who tries hard to be good even though it irritates her sometimes, she is feminine, yet such has a hard center that allows her to stand up for what she thinks is right. A lot of this book was about Sookie trying to live her normal life despite everything she keeps getting wrapped up in. Because of that I think this book ended up being quite a bit better than the last one. I am very excited for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment