Thursday, February 25, 2010

Discussion: Classics and Epic Fantasies

I keep thinking I should make some sort of resolution to read books that I have trouble picking up. My favorites are by far urban fantasies, young adult, and middle grade fantasy. I still do like to read other things though. It just gets tough to prioritize them. Two things that I love to read, but rarely do, are epic fantasies and classic literature.

I am trying to commit to read more of these two things. So once a month I will try to do the following
- Classic Review: Any book old or new that could be considered a classic
- Epic Review: An epic fantasy book

The above are always tough for me because they just take more time to read. For those of you that are curious I have the following books in these categories waiting for me to read them (these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head):

Classics
- Jane Eyre
- Treasure Island
- David Copperfield
- Great Expectations
- The Kite Flyer
- The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Epic Fantasies:
- The Coldfire Trilogy by C. S. Friedman
- The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie
- The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Caravan (not strictly epic but kind of)
- The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
- The Godless World series by Brian Ruckley

I am going to challenge myself to read one of these in each category once a month. So this should give me a good start on getting through some of these books. For February I already read "The Picture of Dorian Grey" for a classic and I am finishing up "First Lord's Fury" by Jim Butcher for my epic fantasy.

What about all of you out there? Do you have books that you want to read, but never seem to get to? Do you have certain genres that are harder for you to commit to reading than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment