Sunday, April 25, 2010

Review - Changeless (Parasole Protectorate, Book 2) by Gail Carriger (4/5 stars)

I was really excited to read this book because I loved the first book "Soulless" so much.  This was a wonderful addition to the series; great humor, some romance, lots of adventure.  I really enjoyed it; except for the ending.

Alexia is awakened when her husband is summoned away for an emergency in the middle of the afternoon (nighttime for those of us non-paranormal beings).  Something has turned all of the supernatural creatures mortal and Queen Victoria is not happy.  It is up to Alexia to figure out what happened and what secrets her husband is keeping from her.

There were a lot of things I loved about this book. The action scenes are well done, the plot moves along quickly, and there is a dry cutting sense of humor throughout the book.  The writing style is easy to read and engaging.  Carriger introduces some wonderful new characters: mainly Madame Lefoux.  I loved that so many steampunk elements were attached to this story.  The descriptions of Madame Lefoux's inventions and how they worked was fascinating.  I also enjoyed the dirigible journey the characters went on.  Alexia's upgraded parasol was wonderful too and made for some fun elements to the story.

There were some things I did not like about this book.  Ivy Hisselpenny was so ridiculous at times that it went past humor and into just plain annoying.  Alexia and Conall sneak around behind each other a lot, sure there are some steamy scenes between this husband and wife pair, but mostly they are just sneaking around plotting behind each other's backs..which is not the great relationship I had hoped for.  Then there is the ending.  The ending was abrupt and an absolute cliffhanger.  I abhor cliffhanger endings.  Carriger is a skilled enough author that I like reading her books, I don't need to be forced into reading the next one by a cliffhanger ending.  Conall's reaction at the ending is absolutely uncalled for as well and kind of came out of nowhere.

Overall I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading the third book "Blameless".  I was disappointed in some aspects of Conall's and Alexia's relationship and I was extremely disappointed in the ending.  Other than that, this was an excellent read.  Those who love Jane Austen style humor, steampunk, or just loved the first book "Soulless" should definitely check this book out.

This book goes towards the following reading challenges:
- The 100+ Book Reading Challenge

Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate) 

No comments:

Post a Comment