Monday, March 2, 2009

Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn (3.5/4 stars)

This is the second book in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. I thought the first book was okay; this book is a little bit better than okay but I didn't think it was anything extraordinary.

In this book Kitty is called to testify in front of a government committee about being a werewolf and the affect of supernaturals on society. A lot of the book is spent at the committee hearing and reading about how nervous Kitty is to testify. The pieces of the plot that were hinted at in the first book are filled out and somewhat resolved in this book; what is Flemming working on and what is the reverend that says he can cure vampires and werewolves really doing?

I felt like the author did a better job of developing Kitty's character in this book. I also enjoyed some of the side characters; mainly her lawyer and the bounty hunter. In parts this book was more interesting than the first book because you learn more about the supernatural community. I thought the pacing in this book could have used some help though. I thought the middle of the book was really drawn out and went on forever; then the last portion of the book was non-stop action.

This was a quick read. If you liked the first book you would like this book. Personally I still think that this series is too much like other series I have read. So far this book deals with similar issues to those brought up in Anita Blake (early on), Rachel Morgan series, and even the Mercy Thompson series. I also think that this series doesn't have as good of a storyline or character development as the Rachel Morgan series does or as good as the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Overall this book was okay, nothing special. If you are out of paranormal stuff to read you would probably find this book to be a quick and mildly entertaining read. I already have the next two books in the series so I will read those. After that, well I'll re-evaluate and see if I want to keep reading this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment