Friday, March 6, 2009

Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (4/5 stars)

This is the third book in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. I think this was the best book in the series so far. It is the only book in the series that has actually grabbed me and yanked me right through the book. I didn't find any part of this book boring or forced.

In this book Kitty is taking a break from her radio show "The Midnight Hour" to go off into the wilderness to write a book about her experiences as a werewolf. She is having a rough time getting going on the writing. Things get even rougher when Kitty's bounty hunter friend Cormac shows up with Kitty's lawyer Ben who has been infected by a werewolf. Kitty is trying to help Ben cope with his change but she has problems of her own when the locals start harassing her and they find out that something dark has followed Cormac back from where Ben got infected.

This book was more suspenseful than previous books and had quite a bit of action in it. Since Ben and Cormac are my favorite side characters I really liked that the book focused on them and let the reader learn more about them. I kind of missed Kitty doing her radio show; hopefully there will be more of that in the next book.

Like the other two books in the series this book is well-written and makes for a quick and easy read. I think if you like the first two books, this one won't disappoint. The only thing that bothered me was that a lot of interesting characters from the second book were completely absent. What happened to Luis the were-jaguar? I guess I can understand not having the Vampire Mistress of Washington DC involved, but I kind of missed her too. The addition of Tony as the witch doctor expert filled some of this gap; but I still felt like some of the other characters got cut adrift.

I already have the next book in this series so I will definitely be reading that one. After that we will see if I read the next two.

No comments:

Post a Comment