Saturday, June 5, 2010

Review - Calamity Jack by Shannon, Dean, and Nate Hale (4/5 stars)

I absolutely loved the first book using these characters, Rapunzel's Revenge, so I was really excited when I heard there was going to be a sequel to that graphic novel.  This book focuses on Jack, Rapunzel's sidekick.  It was a fun read but not as good as the first one.

In this book we get some of Jack's history and some background on why he was on the run with a goose in Rapunzel's Revenge.  Then Jack and Rapunzel return to Jack's hometown to faceoff with the giants.

I didn't like Jack as much as a main character as I liked Rapunzel...he is just too much of a goof.  That being said the story was still well done and very amusing.  I enjoyed the humorous Wildwest retelling of the Jack and the Beanstalk fairy tale.  The artwork was wonderful and well done.  The story moves quickly and is very engaging.  This story had a bit more of a steampunk tinge to it than the first book did.

If you liked Rapunzel's Revenge you would enjoy this book.  If you like fairy tale retellings or full-color graphic novels full of humor; then you will like this book.  I didn't think the story was quite as engaging as Rapunzel's Revenge; but it was still a lot of fun!  I look forward to more graphic novels by the Hales.

This book goes towards the following reading challenges:
- The Young Adult Reading Challenge
- The 100+ Book Reading Challenge
Calamity Jack 

1 comment:

  1. Haven't even heard of this before! I'm curious about more of the graphics though... I'll have to look it up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete