Saturday, April 4, 2009

Dawn (Warriors the new Prophecy, book 3) by Erin Hunter 4/5 stars

The third book in the Warriors: The New Prophecy by Erin Hunter. This was a pretty good book. It takes up right where the last book left off with Brambleclaw and company returning from their quest to the sun-down place.

When Brambleclaw and others return they find the Thunder Clan camp abandoned. It seems the Two-legs have gotten more aggressive and are destroying the entire forest. Will the Clans be able to stop the Two-legs destruction? Will Midnight's prophecy come true and the Clans forced to leave their forest? All this and more is answered in this book.

I like this book better than the previous one. More progress was made on the storyline and the main story wrapped up pretty nicely. It is a pretty depressing read as more and more cats are captured, killed, or starved to death. Sometimes I really wished the book would just let up a little and let something good happen.

I have a couple minor complaints about the book. The first is that so much time was spent deciding whether or not to leave the forest despite the prophecy that Brambleclaw and crew brought back. It would have been nicer to have the Clans spend more time journeying. My second complaint is that with all the cats from all 4 Clans involved in the story the amount of names thrown at you is immense. I got to the point where I recognized the important names and just ignored all the other billion cat names that are bandied about. I still don't understand the necessity of naming all of these individual clan members when they don't have a part to play in the story.

On a positive note the plot makes progress and not all is lost. It was fun to return to the mysterious Tribe of cats in the mountains. There are a number of interesting characters in this book and you really feel for the Clans. The book propels you forward and is hard to put down. All in all a good book. So far I haven't been absolutely in love with this series but I enjoy it. The books are quick read and I like reading about the struggles of the Clans. From how this book ends it looks like another major story arc is going to start in the next book.

I will definitely read the rest of the books in this series; although I don't think I will go back to read the original Warriors series. These books are good but I don't look forward to reading them as much as I would like to.

No comments:

Post a Comment