Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Glass House (Morganville Vampires, Book 1) by Rachel Caine (3/5 stars)

This is the first book in the Morganville series by Caine. Previously I have read the first four books in Caine's Weather Warden series. I liked those four books okay, but I didn't like the main characters all that much, so I ended up dropping the series. When I heard she had a young adult series, I wanted to give that one a try because I thought I might like it better. Overall I thought this book was okay, but it had some of the same problems that I had with the Weather Warden series.

Claire is super smart. So, smart that she graduated early and started going to college at the age of 16. Only her parents wouldn't let her go away to school, so she is stuck going to University in the town of Morganville. Right from the beginning things go wrong; the cool girls are picking on her and stealing her laundry. It isn't until one of the girls actually tries to beat her to death that she realizes something is seriously wrong. She ends up finding her way out of the dorms, where she feels like her life is in danger, and instead renting a room in the Glass House. There she finds that Morganville is not at all what it seems. She is in more danger than she ever suspected.

Everything about this book was okay for me. The characters were okay. I didn't really love any of them, they were pretty stereo-typed in general. Claire is an okay character, and I think as we get to know her she might become more than okay. The guy characters in the book were okay too. The idea of vampires being evil is old. The action scenes were written okay, and the plot of the book was interesting enough to keep my interest, but not so engaging that I couldn't put the book down.

The most interesting thing about this book is the way Caine set up the vampire/human relationship structure in the city of Morganville. The type of society she has set up is pretty neat. I also think that Claire has potential to become someone more interesting, and that the lead vampire Amelie could be a fascinating character if we get to read about her more. Additionally Caine doesn't pull any punches when it comes to what her characters, especially Claire, has to endure.

The only thing I really hated about this book is that it ends with someone literally stabbing a knife at someone else; seriously in the middle of an action scene. What is up with that? I hate it when authors can't wrap up a book in a decent way.

I have the next two books so I will read them and see if the series gets better. I would recommend at least getting the second book with the first because, as I said, the first book ends in the middle of an action scene. My first impression of this series is that it is okay, but nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment