Monday, September 14, 2009

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon, Dean, and Nathan Hale (5/5 stars)

This is the first book that I have read by Shannon Hale, although I have a few more books of hers that I want to read. This is actually a graphic novel/novella. I really liked this book.

This is the story of Rapunzel; with a few twists. Rapunzel escapes from her tower and proceeds to get revenge on her evil step-mother. She wields her many feet of hair as a weapon and defeats many a dastardly enemy with these deadly locks.

This was a really fun book. The drawings are well done and very humorous. The story itself is also very well done and extremely funny. The graphic novel is a pretty good length; it took me a couple hours to read it. Overall a pretty uplifting story, lots of action, and lots of humor.

The whole story is done with a gunslinger, wild west type feel to it. So, Rapunzel's step-mother is an mining baron of sorts and her side-kick Jack is a lousy cowboy thief. I also enjoyed that this fairy tale ties in with the story of Jack (with his magical bean and goose that lays golden eggs).

Overall a great story and lots of fun to read. I am eager to read more of Shannon Hale's books.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the story of Rapunzel again (the original Grimm tale). :D

    Now I want to check out this book because it seems like it would be a nice spin on an old favorite (especially to see the tie-in with Jack), although I've never really been keen on wild west style stories. Who knows, it might turn out to be a fun high falootin' read. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not all that big on westerns either; but this book was so fun that it didn't bother me at all :-)

    ReplyDelete