Monday, September 28, 2009

Mailbox Monday - 9/28

Mailbox Monday can be found at The Printed Page.

Another week with only a few books received. That is good because it means maybe I have a chance of getting my "to be read" pile below 150 books :-) I got "Bloodheir" through Paperbackswap.com. It is the 2nd book in The Godless World series by Brian Ruckley; I haven't read the first book yet but it is supposed to be good epic fantasy.
I got "Beautiful Creatures" through the Amazon Vine program. It is a massive book (around 700 pages) that I have heard a ton of good stuff about. Let's hope it lives up to all the hype!


Bloodheir (The Godless World, Book 2) by Brian Ruckley


First Sentence: "The na'kyrim lay curled on a pallet on interlaced hazel and juniper boughs inside the Voice's lodge."

From Amazon.com:
"The latest addition to one of the durable institutions of modern fantasy, McKiernan’s Mithgar saga, is a quest yarn in which a warrior, his true love, and a stalwart band of men and dwarves set off to find the legendary City of Jade and its lost magic. They encounter more than enough perils, of which enough of the magical sort are pretty original. Apparently a stand-alone story, the book is an unexpectedly good introduction to McKiernan and Mithgar, as well as a solid treat for long-haul fans."



Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

First Sentence: "Falling. I was free-falling, tumbling through the air."

From Amazon.com:
"There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything."

So there you have it folks. That's my haul for the week. Hope that you all have a good week!

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to your desire to prune the TBR pile! Enjoy your books!

    PS cute cat!

    Here is my Monday post if you'd like to stop by http://metroreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/mailbox-monday-september-28th.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look up Beautiful Creatures - isn't the Amazon Vine program fun? :)

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to reading "Beautiful Creatures"; I mean how can you resist that synopsis :-)
    And YES! I do love the Amazon Vine program and am so happy that I can participate in it :-)

    ReplyDelete