Thursday, July 9, 2009

Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, Book 4) by Richelle Mead (5/5 stars)

This is the fourth book in the Georgina Kincaid series and I thought it was also the best. I was so excited to read this book after how the third book ended with Georgina and Seth on the rocks. I recently found out that there are going to be six books in this series. After this book I am eagerly awaiting the fifth book.

In this book Georgina is in a bit of a rut after breaking up with Seth. She has spiraled down and spends most of her time smoking, drunk, sucking the life energy out of moral men, and shacking up with the truly evil Dante. Jerome (her demon boss) is pissed at her bad attitude and loans her to another demon in Canada; he wants her to help with a problem that they are having there with some demonic cult that is just being plain annoying and getting Hell bad press. Shortly after her trip to Canada she gets sick and Jerome goes missing. With Jerome gone all of his underlings have their immortal powers taken away. Georgina needs to figure out what happened to Jerome and figure out how this cult is involved; but what does having her powers taken away mean for her and Seth?

This was a great book. The plot was wonderful, focused, and fast-paced. Georgina is a great character and I loved that Seth remained in the story. Dante is also an interesting character, but the angel Carter remains my favorite character of this series. It was fun to see how Georgina dealt with not having her powers. Overall the main mystery/puzzle of this book is concluded nicely and the broader story-arc regarding Georgina's contract with Hell and her relationship with Seth is filled out and made even more mysterious.

The strongest point of this book is characterization; Mead develops wonderful multi-dimensional characters that you can really care about. She also writes good sex scenes, which is something you don't get to see in her Vampire Academy series. The plot sucks you along and I had a ton of trouble putting this book down. I also love that the books in this series have good, well-organized plots that make sense and don't seem frantic. I run into so many of these paranormal books where the heroine ends up running around like crazy and seems lost; but these books are not like that. This book also has a healthy dose of humor to keep you chuckling :-)

If I had to come up with something to complain about it would be that we didn't get as many glances into Georgina's extensive past in this book and I really enjoy those little stories. Oh and the book cover and book name is still pretty corny...

Still this book didn't disappoint I loved it. I zipped through it and couldn't believe that it was over. I love her Vampire Academy series too and am eagerly awaiting the next book in that series. I think I will give her other series: Dark Swan a look too. Loved this book; this series just keep getting better!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this series out. I remember coming across "Succubus Blues" at one point and thinking it looked interesting. That's the first in the series right? Anyway, Will definitely check it out! Nice to hear that the series is still strong this far into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep "Succubus Blues" is the first book in the series. I actually liked that book the least of all of them. This series has been much more of a paranormal/mystery/romance than any sort of paranormal/action series. The only thing that would make them better is if there were some more action scenes!

    ReplyDelete