Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Best of 2010 - Young Adult Paranormal and Dystopia Books

I read a ton of young adult, most of it in the paranormal genre.  This is an area that is really exploding lately!  Anyway below are my favorites for this year; I included dystopias in this post as well.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
This whole series is absolutely excellent and the conclusion to it, Mockingjay, was stunning.

Nightshade: Book 1
A stunner of a debut novel, I devoured this huge book in no time flat.  It took werewolves to a whole new level and was wonderful!  I can't wait to read Wolfsbane next year.

The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa
The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)The Iron Daughter (Harlequin Teen)The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
The most excellent fairy based young adult series I have ever read.  Fun, easy to read, creative, great characters, and intriguing.  I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read The Iron Knight when it comes out next year.

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Paranormalcy. by Kiersten White
This was another great debut novel.  It features a heroine that is girly and spunky and so much fun.  Lots of action, very creative world; this book really stands out apart from the other paranormal YA books out there!  I can't wait to read Supernaturally when it comes out next year.

Demon Princess: Reign Check
Absolutely loved the first book in this series Demon Princess: Reign or Shine and this second book was another wonderful addition to the series.  These are again very creative and fun and feature a normal girl who finds out she is a demon princess.  Rumor is that there won't be any more books in this series, which is a bummer, but they are still wonderful so check them out.

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, Book 5)Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Book 6)
Did you think I would forget this series on my list?!  Of course not!  This is a wonderful series featuring a strong female lead, a complex vampire society, and hands down wonderful writing.  It wrapped up nicely and I can't wait to see what spin-offs Mead comes up with for this series.

Matched by Ally Condie
Matched
This is a dystopian fantasy.  It is kind of a Brave New World or Handmaid's Tale for the modern teen set.  I really enjoyed it and enjoyed how it looked at things from a different point of view.  Here the heroine is a peace-loving non-conflict type of girl but her world of perfection is slowly shattered around her.  Some neat ideas and east to read, I enjoyed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment