Friday, April 8, 2011

Short Story Review - Of Swine and Roses by Ilona Andrews (4.5/5 stars)

Of Swine and RosesReading level: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
Size:  101 KB
Publisher:  Ilona Andrews, Inc
Release Date: March 4, 2011
ASIN: B004QT6ZPK
Stand Alone or Series: Stand Alone
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

 

This is a short young adult story by the Ilona Andrews writing team.  It is a very cute and sweet urban fantasy with a romantic twist to it.  Definitely worth the 99 cents to read, especially if you are a fan of the Andrews' writing.

Alena is forced to go on a date with a Thug named Chad.  You see her family is powerful in magic but poor and Chad's family is rich and would be a great fit...politically.  Alena hates the idea but agrees for the good of the family.  To say the date is a disaster is understating things; especially since it ends up with Alena chasing a pig through mud and ruining her favorite shirt.  In the end though things aren't quite what they seem...

This story is very short; took maybe 10-15 minutes to read.  But in that small space the Andrews create an excellent world and vivid characters who you really grow to love.  I am always amazed at how complex a world and characters these authors create in such a small space.  The characters are witches and are part of a complex political structure.

Definitely worth the read if you are a fan.  To be honest I didn't like it quite as much as their adult stuff.  My favorite non-series based short story by them is still The Silent Blade.  Still it was a very fun and cute young adult read and I am glad I read it.

This would be something that could be expanded into a great YA series and hopefully there are plans for that...although I haven't heard anything.

Overall worth the read.  It is a good way to be introduced to the Andrews writing.  A fun, cute, and sweet story full of magic, humor, and irony.  I really enjoyed it.  Hopefully they will start a YA series in this awesome world at some point!


Of Swine and Roses 

3 comments:

  1. I always thought that this short story went with the Edge series. Well, at least in that world, since the concept of clans and families with powers is there (I guess Silent Blade has that too, but is more futuristic?). Anyway, I agree - a really cute story. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you are right this probably does take place in the Edge world; I was just thrown by the YA slant to it.

    - Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reviewing this. I haven't read anything by Andrews yet though it's been on my radar for awhile now. This sounds like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete