Sunday, December 11, 2011

Best of 2011 - Adult Fantasy and Steampunk (all ages)

I loved this series and this was a wonderful conclusion to it.  If you are a fan of epic fantasy, with wonderful characters, and a creative and unique world definitely check this series out.

The Nightbound Land series by Trent Jamieson

Roil, Book 1 (My Review)
A super creative fantasy/steampunkish book where the Roil is eating and destroying the land.  I loved the creativity of this book and haven't ever read anything like it before!

This was a wonderful book, magical, and well written.  An enchanting story full of mystery, romance, magic, and wonder.  This is the type of fantasy that is very accessible and should appeal to a large audience of readers even those who don't normally read fantasy.

The Vampire Empire by Susan and Clay Griffith
Highly imaginative series with a heavy steampunk/alternate history tone to it and, of course, vampires!  Wonderful characterization, a creative and interesting world, and a broad nearly epic plot.  I have the second book, The Rift Walker, on my shelf to read and can't wait to get started on it.

This was another mystical, magical, and beautifully written book by Valente.  I highly recommend just about any book by her.

Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld

 
Behemoth, Leviathan Book 2 (My Review)
Goliath - Leviathan Book 3 (My Review)
This was a wonderful middle grade epic steampunk fantasy.  A creative and wonderful steampunk based world, wonderful characters, and a complex story made this an absolutely wonderful series to read.

The Clockwork Three by Matthew Kirby
The story of three children entertwine in this wonderful Steampunk mystery with just a touch of magic.  This was a fun and magical read appropriate for all ages.

All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen
A wonderful steampunk tale about a girl who desperately wants to go to an all boys college.  She ends up sneaking in by dressing up as a boy and all sort of madness ensues.  Appropriate for young adult and older.

The Bookman Histories by Lavie Tidhar
Camera Obscura, Book 2
One of the most creative books I have read this year.  This is a crazy world unlike any I have read before with quirky and interesting characters.  If you like books that are different and interesting with a steampunk theme to them check this book out.  Appropriate for adults.


The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
(My Review)
This is a wonderful story for all ages to enjoy.  Lots of steampunk elements, as well as a story that spans a broad range of ages.  Beautiful drawings and a wonderful mystery!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Night Circus as well! I'm looking forward to reading Hugo Cabret. I hope to get to it soon so I can watch the film! :)

    ReplyDelete