Saturday, December 17, 2011

Guest Review - The Warded Man (Demon Trilogy, Book 1) by Peter V. Brett (4/5 stars)

Another guest review from my husband! Enjoy :-)

Reading level: Adult
Genre: Fantasy
Size: 480 pages
Publisher: Del Rey
Release Date: March 23, 2010
ISBN: 978-0345518705
Stand Alone or Series: 1st in the Demon Trilogy
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5 stars

This is the story is about how a boy becomes the Warded Man. The book also follows the story of two other characters that end up helping him at the end. This is a typical boy grows up to be a man story and about how he becomes cooler than the rest of the people around him. The interesting twist to this story is that every night demons rise from the ground and attack anyone who is not behind a ward of some sort. A lot of people die in this book, because the wards aren’t a very efficient way of keeping the demons at bay.

This book was well written and I enjoyed it. The book was a little bit more predictable than I would have liked, but I think any time you are going to do a story about a child growing up, you are going to have to be a little bit predictable. There were a couple of twists that were nice to see but I wasn’t really surprised by any of them.

I thought the characters as a whole were pretty well thought out and they really drew me in. I did found the book very hard to put down at points; that is always a compliment. The story line could be a little confusing at points because as you are following three different characters, the story jumps ahead in time with each one, and they aren’t on the same timeline. So it was hard to get a really good mental picture about where everyone was at that particular point in time that you are reading about. Overall, if you just kind of accept that, it wasn’t too annoying.

I think this is a good book, and I will continue the series as I get them. This is very much a fantasy book, my personal favorite, and really the only type I tend to read. Though the book was also marked in the horror genre, I really didn’t think that was the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment