Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Guest Review - Theft of Swords (Riyira Revelations, Book 1) by Michael J. Sullivan (4.5/5 stars)

My husband is guest reviewing this book for me.  So enjoy!  Lately he has a lot more time to read than I do since he is riding the bus to work.  So, thanks to him for reviewing this book for me.  He really liked it and now it just makes me want to read it more :-)   Now onto the review....

Reading level: Adult (okay for YA)
Genre: Fantasy
Size: 704 pages
Publisher: Orbit
Release Date: November 23, 2011
ISBN: 978-0316187749
Stand Alone or Series: 1st in the Riyira Revelations series
Source: ARC from Publisher at BEA
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

This is really two books, the first covers the adventures of Hadrian and Royce as they pull off some daring heists and get caught up in a whirlwind of politics and adventures as they end up getting blamed for murder and other foul deeds. The supporting cast of characters was also pretty good and ended up creating a nice rich story line. The first book ends well with mainly of the main story elements nicely wrapped up; overall it was a very good story

The second part happens two years later and is a completely different story arc. The characters from the first two participate in the second book as well, but there were additional characters added. A few characters from the first book just make passing appearances. The second story is really more about getting to a tower and stealing something. It is again a pretty interesting story, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first part.

Both of the stories are very well done, I liked the first one a little better, but both were worth the read. I was impressed by the world, and the descriptions the author uses throughout. The characters were all very well written, and were consistent throughout both books. I enjoyed the interactions and adventures of Hadrian and Royce, they were both excellent characters.

This book was good, and I am looking forward to reading the next book (or books, as I understand it, there are three books, with two books really in each one). The book was kind of long and it took me a while to get through it but I felt it was worth it. This is a typical fantasy book, and if you enjoy the genre, you will probably enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment