Sunday, August 30, 2009

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by Suzanne Collins (5/5 stars)

I have been waiting for this book since I read the ARC of the first book last year. I was so excited to get an advanced reader's copy of this second book that I was literally bouncing in place; and this book didn't disappoint! It was a wonderful book, as wonderful as the first book if not more so. Between reading these books, I went back and read all of the Underland Chronicles by Colllins. It is interesting because you can see how her writing has matured, her characters have gained depth, and her plots become more intricate.

This book picks up shortly after where the last book left off. Katniss and Peetra are getting ready to go on their victory tour of all of the districts. Shortly before they depart President Snow pays Katniss a visit. He knows the romance between her and Peeta was a farce, at least for Katniss. Snow warns that Katniss better convince the Capital that the actions she took to save Peeta were out of love and not rebellion; if he remains unconvinced, then her family will be the ones to pay. As Peeta and Katniss embark on their tour, Katniss realizes she has unwittingly become the focus of rebellion. As she realizes how deep the ramifications of her and Peeta's actions during the last Hunger Games were, she wonders if there is anyway she can convince Snow that she wasn't trying to turn the Districts against him.

This was a wonderful book. The plot is more complicated and entangled than the first book in the series; and this made it an even better book. Katniss and Peeta remain wonderful characters that you can really feel for and relate too. There are a ton of new, interesting characters introduced. Collins does an excellent job of making the characters well-rounded. It is hard to hate any of them, even if you may not like them sometimes. The plot plows forward at such a fast and griping pace that it is very hard to put the book down. I really wanted to stay up all night reading this book. At the same time it was such a good story that I never wanted it to end!

I really don't have anything negative to say about this book. I loved it! It was fast-paced, engaging, intriguing, and all around wonderful. The hardest part was finishing it, because I wanted to read more. Now I am desperate to read the last book in the series! This is a great series and I think people of all ages and readers of all genres should give it a go; you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. WOW. A Fantastic Review! I am definitely going to look her up, I had heard of Hunger Games and now I see what all the hubbub was about. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete