Monday, August 24, 2009

Killer Pizza by Greg Taylor (4/5 stars)

This was one of those silly books that I just saw and thought "I have got to read that!" This book was better than I expected, not quite as silly, and more interesting.

Toby is kind of your typical geek; and with his best friend out of town for the summer, he feels like the best thing to do with his time is get a job. Well he gets one at Killer Pizza. When he shows up for his first day of training he is surprised to find that the most popular girl in the school, Anabel, is also working there...as well as a tough older kid that goes by the name Strobe. Toby loves the food channel and is really digging making pizza, but he shortly finds out that the pizza shop is just a front for something else, a monster hunting group, and they want to recruit Toby. Will Toby make the final cut as a monster hunter?

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but it exceeded my expectations. The book is well-written, action packed, and a super easy read. Toby makes an interesting character as a food channel loving geek with hiding depths of monster kicking abilities. In fact all of the characters are quirky and interesting; Strobe, is nick-named that because his personality goes from dark to light quickly and Anabel is a rich popular girl determined to "make it on her own" by working a job for a company her father doesn't own.

The action was non-stop, the story was interesting and engaging. Overall it was a quirky and fun read. Kids and adults alike will enjoy this one. The violence wasn't over the top and the story wasn't all that scary, but it was still fun. This is one of those books that I enjoyed, but I probably won't keep around. I would recommend it if you want a darkly humorous, light read. It actually has more depth to it than I was expecting, so much that I will keep Taylor on my list of authors to watch. I hope that his future books are just as entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment