Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 9) by Charlaine Harris (2/5 stars)

This is the ninth book in the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris. It was also one of the most disappointing books in the series.

This book starts with the shapeshifters going public with their existance. Shortly after Sookie's brother's wife, Crystal, is murdered in front of Sam's bar. Everyone wants Sookie to help find the murderer. When Sookie's fairy grandfather shows up and warns her to "watch herself" because bad stuff is happening in the fairy realm; it only makes Sookie's already difficult life even worse.

I totally agree with previous reviewers that mention all the errors in this book (both story-wise and grammatical). I really expect a decently written novel; especially from such an experienced writer. Many characters in this book also acted completely out of character. Sookie seemed confused and lost the whole book. Erik started spouting out his life history in the middle of the bar (he's usually a tad more secretive about that stuff). And what is with Bill popping back into Sookie's good graces? I have had enough of Bill let's just get over him already.

Some of the scenes with the fairies were interesting. I will agree though that this was a particularly gruesome Sookie book. Multiple pregnant women are murdered and there is quite a bit of torture. Overall I just didn't like this book much. I just can't figure out where the series is going; apparently neither can Harris. The eighth book was mediocre and I was willing to give Harris a book to transition the characters into something big and new; but this book didn't start anything new.

I read the book, didn't really enjoy it all that much. I was happy when I was done with it and confused about what happened to Sookie's personality. I will probably read the next book; but I am not sure what is going on here. A lot of my favorite paranormal series (The Hollows, Anita Blake) are really sucking it up lately.

Will I read the next book? Yes, but I will get it from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment